Mexico Attractions Near Puerto Vallarta
When flying into the Puerto Vallarta International airport on much anticipated Mexico vacations, tourists are immediately exposed to one to the best tourist attractions in Mexico, the Bay of Banderas; the ideal spot for sailing, fishing and whale watching.
From Nuevo Vallarta (just north of Puerto Vallarta) up to Punta de Mita, vacationers can enjoy over 50 miles of Mexico Pacific coast shoreline featuring 30 miles of incredible Mexico beaches surrounding the Bay of Banderas plus the Sierra Madre Mountains as a magnificent backdrop.
The natural Mexico attractions and water activities in and around Banderas Bay attract over 3 million tourists each year. This number is expected to increase to over 6 million within the next 20 years.
The Riviera Nayarit invites you to travel north from Puerto Vallarta along its 200 mile Pacific coastline to discover numerous Mexico attractions and activities.
Book any of the following and come experience all that Mexico has to offer in the Riviera Nayarit:
Along with these exciting holidays in Riviera Nayarit Mexico you fill your schedule with memorable activities and experiences that might also include sea lion encounters, Mexico beaches, swimming with dolphins and more.
Nuevo Vallarta Mexico Tourist Attractions
Nuevo Vallarta Mexico has over 500 years of history yet is still often considered by many to be a part of Puerto Vallarta.
With its own unique Mexico tourist attractions Nuevo Vallarta has earned its right to be recognized as its own destination point that offers prestigious Vallarta Mexico beaches, golfing and many other Mexico attractions that are truly memorable. Nuevo Vallarta also has some of Mexico’s best resort hotels complete with luxury spa and wellness facilities plus dining and shopping.
Vallarta Beaches - Step away from the hustle and bustle of busy city life and enter a calmer state on less crowded Mexico beaches. Nuevo Vallarta offers several beaches near Puerto Vallarta that are worth the visit. In fact it is said that Vallarta beaches stretch farther than the eye can see. Some of Vallarta’s top voted beaches that comprise its 5 mile stretch of Oceanside territory are:
Mayan Palace Beach
Las Caletas Beach
Playa de Oro Beach
Other Unique Attractions in Nuevo Vallarta Mexico
Break away from typical activities and attractions in Mexico and enjoy some of Vallarta’s unique recreation:
- Imagine Nuevo Vallarta horseback riding at sunset on the beach or riding through the tropical rainforests surrounded by waterfalls and exotic wildlife.
- Humpback whale watching tours and swimming with dolphins expeditions in the Bay of Banderas
- Baby Sea Turtle release including discovery and rescue missions
- Adventurous land activities such as canopy tours, zip lines and ATV tours
- Several prestigious golf courses including Flamingos Mexico Golf Course, which is played by Percy Clifford
Bucerias Mexico Tourist Attractions
The slow paced village of Bucerias is only 20 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta and is said to be full of heart warming charm. Attractions in Bucerias Mexico include:
- 5 miles of soft sandy Mexico beaches, listed as some of the cleanest on the Mexican west coast
- Serene waters perfect for floating, sailing and snorkelling
- Walking and biking down the town’s cobblestone roads
- Exposure to the town’s focus on art and culture
- Main Plaza and markets selling customary sweet snacks and handmade souvenirs
Punta de Mita Mexico Tourist Attractions
Punta de Mita is a quaint fishing village and colonial port town strategically positioned on the southwest point of Riviera Nayarit. Only 40 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta, Punta Mita Mexico attractions include:
- The Mexican Malibu – 7 surf swells and 9 miles of surf beaches
- A water sport-lovers’ paradise – sailing, scuba diving, parasailing, windsurfing and more
- Punta Mita Pacifico Golf Course – 72 par ocean-side course
- A marina perfect for launching fishing trips with restaurants willing to cook your daily catch
Sayulita Mexico Tourist Attractions
Sayulita Mexico is another quaint fishing village located in the state of Riviera Nayarit, only 35 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta. Situated on the same latitude as Hawaii, Sayulita is protected from Pacific winds by the Bay of Banderas and enjoys an average of 345 days of sun each year. There are several popular and some secret “Playas” (Spanish for beach) to enjoy the sun including:
Playa de Los Muertos
Playas Las Cuevas
In addition to these fantastic Mexico beaches, other things to do in Sayulita include:
Fishing on a Panga to catch Mahi Mahi fish
Snorkelling off the beaches of Playa de Los Muertos
Long board surf lessons in one of Mexico’s best surfing locations
Tree top canopy tours complete with zip lines and ATV tours along secluded beaches
San Blas Mexico Tourist Attractions
Only 12,000 people reside in the port San Blas Mexico which is situated in the Bay of Matanchen. Tourists who fly into Puerto Vallarta can board one of four daily buses for the 3 ½ hour trip north. In this town, where it is said that time travels at a different pace, there are several benefits that draw tourists northward:
- True Mexican experience with thatched roof huts in place of resorts and condos
- Las Islitas cliff formations in the midst of palm trees and rolling hills
- Jungle boat rides that feature waterfalls and undiscovered Mexico beaches
- Fine dining at local Mexican businesses
- Bird watching in an area that attracts over 300 migratory birds
Learn More About Mexico Attractions Riviera Nayarit
Thanks for visiting the official website of the Conventions and Visitors Bureau for the Riviera Nayarit region. Located on Mexico’s Pacific coast in the Riviera Nayarit, we actively promote Mexico tourism. Please browse our website to learn more about our Mexico tourist attractions or to explore available Mexico vacations in the Riviera Nayarit.
See our Vallarta Mexico Activities page to learn more about Mexico attractions plus land and water activities you can take part in while vacationing in the Riviera Nayarit.
Find a travel specialist for more information about Mexico Vacations and Mexico tourist attractions.