United States and Canadian citizens travelling to México as tourists only need to present valid passports and complete entry forms (Migratory Form for Foreign Tourists, Transmigrants, Business Visitors or Councilor Visitors) generally available at travel agencies, airline offices and all entry points into Mexico.

Visitors from other countries must obtain a visa in order to enter México, which they may obtain by contacting a Mexican Consulate in their country. In order to grant a visa, the consulate will require a passport, proof of sufficient economic means for the duration of their stay and proof of payment for the processing fee.

Tourists may stay in México for up to 180 days. When they enter by air, the processing fee payment (approximately $22 USD) is included in the price of the airplane ticket. When entering by land, the processing fee must be paid during your stay and validated upon your departure. Tourists that enter by land and stay less than seven days in México do not need to pay for processing.

You will need the following 3 documents in order to enter Mexico:

1. Valid Passport

 2. FMT (Tourist, Business), FM2 or FM3 Form

3. Custom’s declaration form

The government of Mexico requires current proof of citizenship, a photo ID and a valid passport for entry into Mexico.

TIP: Carry a photocopy of your passport and keep the original in a safe place and make sure your passport does not expire within 6 months or you might be denied entry into Mexico, even for shorter visits!

You will need an FMT (Mexican Visitor’s Permit) which is valid for up to 6 months. If arriving by plane, you will be provided with one to fill out.

 It is very important to keep your Tourist Permit in a safe place for you to leave the country. If lost, you need to apply for an exit permit (about $40 USD) and you might miss your flight!

You will also be required to fill out a customs declarations form.

Get the hottest deals and latest news in your inbox!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

© Copyright 2017 - Riviera Nayarit